An idyllic small working ranch where you can experience gaucho life and welcoming hospitality
Doubles from $220 pppn
Best for: Food & Wine
Why stay here? For a tranquil stay on a welcoming and relaxed estancia not too far from Buenos Aires
- A working 100 hectare cattle farm
- Year built: About 30 years ago although the estancia park dates back 200 years
- The history of the hacienda: It was the owner’s family home before they decided to open as a hotel
- 7 guest rooms but they prefer a maximum of 10 guests
- Room details: All the rooms are doubles or twins
Food and Drink
- Dining: 4 meals are included
- Bar: There is a drinks list. Beer is included but wine is extra although reasonably priced
Activities at the hotel
- Horse riding
- Gaucho activities (moving cows – you can learn the basics)
- Polo practice
- Bird watching
- Wine tasting can be arranged
- Swimming pool
Local area attractions
- Polo clubs – the estancia is situated in the golden triangle for polo. There are also rodeos, gaucho parties and opportunities to buy leather in the local area
Amenities and Facilities
- Wifi available
- Gardens and outdoor space
- Disabled access (the building only has one floor and they will help however they can)
- Safe in rooms
Need to know
- Open all year: From October to May
- Best time to visit: October and November for sport. March and April when it is cooler and quieter
- Suitable for children: Not if they are under 10 years old
- Languages: English and Spanish spoken
- Eco credentials: Organic fruit and vegetables from garden
- Special offers: Discount for long stays
- Check in/out policies: 11/11 – they are relaxed and flexible. You can pay for late check out and have lunch thrown in
- From $220 to $340 plus tax pppn
- Credit cards not accepted
- Booking and cancellation: 40% deposit through bank transfer on booking required. Cancellation policy is flexible. If you cancel up to a month before you can expect a refund but not if it’s a week before
- View Google Map>>
- Address:San Miguel del Monte, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Transfers available: Approx $150 round trip from Buenos Aires
Estancia Candelaria del Monte is a well situated 100 hectare working cattle estancia about 2 hours outside Buenos Aires. It is an informal and relaxed place to stay where you will be hosted by the charming owner, Sebastian. Always eager to please his clients in his eclectically decorated hotel – you will be made to feel very much at home here.
The estancia park dates back about 200 years, however, the building itself is only about 30 years old and was originally Sebastian’s family home. It opened as a hotel about 9 years ago.
There are 7 bedrooms but there is a preferred maximum of 10 guests at any one time so you can be assured it will never be too full and the service won’t suffer. All the rooms are either doubles or twins. There are varying standards and styles of rooms, which are reflected in the different prices. Some are eclectic, some are slightly more traditional and others might be best described as chintzy. Don’t expect too many mod cons although there is air conditioning. The Suite del Patron is their best and biggest room with French doors leading out onto the lawn.
The estancia is in a good location for people interested in polo (in the area known as the Golden Triangle). There is also plenty of riding on offer and Seb will personally teach you the basics of herding. It is a great place to start learning about the gaucho culture and all their traditions. And for those who would rather relax – it’s perfect for this as well. It’s a very easy place to sit back and enjoy the tranquillity and then when it gets too hot to have a refreshing dip in the pool. It is also a good place to indulge in a spot of bird watching.
As with this style of rate – 4 meals (the extra one being afternoon tea) are included as well as beer but not wine. The food is taken seriously here and breakfast is a delicious affair – medialunas (the Argentine version of the croissant), breads, local honey and home made jams, eggs made to order, fruit etc. In fact whatever you want you can have (subject to them having it in the first place obviously!). It’s idyllic to sit outside on a sunny morning and enjoy a leisurely breakfast. You definitely will not go hungry here as there is always an opportunity to eat something and the kitchen serves up mouth watering meals – the usual asado (Argentine BBQ), chicken, pasta, fruit and vegetables from the garden (which you can help pick). The wine list is very reasonable with lots of well priced local wines. There is a drinks list also and in keeping with the general style of the estancia it is all very informal – ask and you will get… There is always someone to serve you what you want and when you want it.
Estancia Candelaria del Monte is a rustic, relaxed and very enjoyable place to stay with its charmingly chaotic hotchpotch of rooms and styles. The atmosphere is very welcoming and the attitude seems to be nothing is too much trouble. You will be made to feel immediately at home and be able to fully relax making the most of the tranquillity. Overall it is a very comfortable place to stay and an excellent example of warm Argentine hospitality.