A magical estancia set in a breathtaking location
Doubles from $390 pppn
Best for: The Great Outdoors
Why stay here: To marvel in the splendour of this beautiful lodge set among some of the most dramatic scenery
- A working 4500 hectares cattle and sheep farm
- Year built: 1976
- The history of the hacienda: The estancia was once part of a larger estancia, La Primavera. The Lariviere family arrived in the region in 1932 and bought the estancia from the English owner, Sir Henry Bell, in 1934. Many important people have been hosted there including President Eisenhower and King Leopold of Belgium. After the death of Pim Lariviere in 1975, his two sons inherited the estancia and it was consequently divided in two. The northern part of the estancia was then named Arroyo Verde. The lodge was originally built as a summer house for family and friends but has been open to the paying public since 1987. This family home is still run by Meme Lariviere and her three daughters
- 5 bedrooms plus a cabin by the lake
- Room details: All the rooms are either doubles or twins and individually decorated. The cabin is about 1.5 miles from the main house and has a twin bedroom, living area (with extra beds if needed) and a deck overlooking the lake
Food and Drink
- Dining: 3 meals plus snacks and alcoholic drinks are included in this full board rate. Lunch and dinner are 3 courses.
- Bar: Yes there is plus different seating areas to enjoy a drink
Activities at the hotel
- Horse riding
- Gaucho activities
- Bird watching
- Cooking classes (if requested in advance)
- Wildlife viewing
- Swimming in the lake
- Private guided tours
Local area attractions
- In the area there are local villages with shopping and restaurants. The estancia is so huge, there is no reason to leave once you are there
Amenities and Facilities
- Meeting facilities available if you book the whole lodge
- Special events
- Wifi available in certain areas of the lodge
- Gardens, terraces and outdoor space
- Extra beds available (only possible in 2 bedrooms)
- Safe in room
- Laundry (extra cost)
Need to know
- Open all year: From November until end of April
- Best time to visit: All the time the estancia is open
- Suitable for children: Children under the age of 12 are not accepted
- Languages: English, Spanish and French spoken
- Eco credentials: Organic fruit and vegetables, use ecological detergents and toiletries, build with natural or locally sourced materials, participate in recycling schemes, have their own generators, invest in local community and employ local staff
- Special offers: Lower season rates in November and April
- Check in/out policies: 24 hour check in and out
- From $350 – $890 pppn (depending on the season and the program chosen)
- Credit cards not accepted
- Booking and cancellation: Usually they do not do refunds but this is subject to the discretion of the management
- View Google Map
- Address: Traful, Neuquen, Patagonia, Argentina
- Transfers available: Yes included for guests on fishing program otherwise it’s extra
Estancia Arroyo Verde is a luxurious and elegant lodge in Patagonia. A vast estate, stretching as far as the eye can see, this is an outstanding option to spend some time in the great outdoors. The estancia belongs to the Lariviere family and they take great pleasure in welcoming all guests into their beautiful lodge.
Originally part of the larger Estancia Primavera, the owner’s late husband inherited half the estate from his father and named it Arroyo Verde. The Lariviere family have been in the valley for the last 80 years. The guest lodge was built in 1976 as a place for family and friends to enjoy the summer but opened to guests in 1987.
There are 5 bedrooms, which are all individually decorated doubles or twins. A mile and a half from the house there is a lakeside cabin with a twin bedroom, living area and a deck to enjoy the beautiful sunsets. Comfortably decorated with lots of wood panelling and luxurious bedding, you are guaranteed to have a good nights rest here especially if you take full advantage of all the outdoor pursuits on offer.
For people wanting to visit the estancia and Patagonia generally, it’s likely they will be very interested in either fishing, horse riding, trekking or hiking to name just a few. The estancia caters very well to the outdoorsy tourist especially those who want to enjoy the phenomenal fishing opportunities here. It’s also a great place for going out on long horse rides or walks, everywhere you turn you will be amazed at the beauty of the scenery. Other pursuits on offer include bird watching, gaucho activities, mountain biking and kayaking. The serenity of the estancia lends itself nicely to those who just want to relax and if it gets too hot, there is the lake to head to for a refreshing dip.
Three meals are included in the rate along with lots of snacks throughout the day and an open bar. To get you going a full English cooked breakfast is on offer as well as other lighter options. Lunch and dinner are both three courses and are a mixture of traditional Argentinian dishes and international. Weather permitting, lunch is usually served outside and quite often will be a delicious asado (traditional BBQ) accompanied by a whole range of mouth watering side dishes. Dinner is likely to be fish, chicken or pasta, normally something not quite as heavy as lunch. With all the snacks on offer as well you will not go hungry. The food is of a very good standard and matched by the exemplary service.
Estancia Arroyo Verde is the sort of place which one hopes to visit at least once in their lifetime. It is a very sophisticated and yet relaxed place to spend a few days enjoying all the wonders of this majestic Patagonian valley. The food is delicious, the service outstanding, the house and ground immaculately looked after plus the unforgettable landscapes on the doorstep. The exclusive and yet intimate Arroyo Verde will not disappoint and is worth every penny. For people who love the outdoors they will think they have arrived in Argentine heaven!