A welcoming working farm nestled on a mountainside with spectacular views all around
Doubles from $120 pppn
Best for: The Great Outdoors
Why stay here: To experience real farm life on a traditional estancia
- A working 1200 hectares livestock farm with cattle, pigs, goats and sheep
- Year built: 1896
- The history of the hacienda: La Constancia was originally part of an older estancia, San Javier, which was founded in 1789. La Constancia started out as one room made of mud with a straw roof and was the home of the Arias Moreno family. They had wanted to find somewhere with a better climate as Jose Arias Moreno suffered with tuberculosis and they settled on this area with it’s clean and fresh air. The building gradually increased with walls of sun dried clay bricks built, which are still visible today
- 8 guest rooms plus an apartment with 2 bedrooms
- Room details: All the rooms are either doubles, twins or triples. There are 2 different standards of rooms
Food and Drink
- Dining: They offer a full board rate as well as just bed and breakfast
- Bar: Yes – alcoholic drinks are not included
Activities at the hotel
- Bird watching
- Cooking classes
- Gaucho activities
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Private guided tours
- Swimming pool
- Games room
Local area attractions
- Winery, golf course, museums, local artisans
Amenities and Facilities
- Special events such as conferences and weddings are offered
- Gardens and outdoor space
- Extra beds available
Need to know
- Open all year: Yes apart from 20-25 December
- Best time to visit: Spring and Autumn
- Suitable for children: Children under 12 are not allowed
- Languages: English and Spanish spoken
- Eco credentials: Use locally sourced ingredients, build with natural or locally sourced materials, participate in recycling schemes, energy efficient and employ local staff
- Check in/out policies: 12pm/10am
- From $120 to $220 pppn in double rooms
- Credit cards are accepted
- Booking and cancellation: To secure a reservation a 30% deposit is required through bank transfer. The balance is required one month prior to arrival. If you cancel 30 days in advance there is no charge, 29-16 days 30% is charged, 15-8 days 60% and 7-0 days 100% is charged
Estancia La Constancia is located 1600m above sea level in the mountains near Cordoba. Secluded and far away from urban life, this is somewhere to spend a few peaceful days enjoying the great outdoors. Reached by a long and bumpy road, La Constancia is well worth the journey to get there but make sure you leave yourself enough time to really enjoy this charming Argentine working estancia.
The estancia dates back to 1896. Once part of a larger estancia it became the refuge of a man suffering from tuberculosis who was looking for a better climate. As La Constancia is 1600m above sea level it seemed like the ideal location to set up home. It has been gradually extended over the years and the original one room building is now the present dining room.
There are 8 guest rooms and one apartment with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. They are either doubles, twins and can also be triples. There are 2 different standards of rooms. Simply furnished and some with beautiful views, what they may lack in mod cons they make up for in ambience.
You will not have time to get bored here as there are lots of different activities to get involved with including horse riding and hiking one of the numerous trails. The brothers who own the estancia, Agustin and Luis, are very hospitable and love to take their guests out on one of the trails around the property. Other ways to fill your days included bird watching, fishing, participating in farm life or just general relaxation – you can even have a massage if requested in advance. The local area has wineries which make an enjoyable day out if you are fancying a change of scene.
There is a choice of either full board or bed & breakfast available. Good home cooked food is the order of the day and breakfast is bread, croissants, eggs, fruits and yogurt. Most of the food comes from or close to the estancia, the local area is well known for its selection of herbs and therefore the meals often tend to be quite creative! Meat, pasta, international dishes, creole influenced dishes and sometimes just a fusion are served. It is also possible to to have vegetarian meals.
Estancia La Constancia is run by a welcoming family who are excellent hosts as well as guides. Set against a mountain backdrop, the estancia has far reaching views all around and you feel like you are in a secret valley. It’s peaceful yet there are plenty outdoor pursuits to keep you occupied. You will be well fed and looked after and although it may be a little off the beaten track, this only adds to its charm.