A rebuilt working hacienda set in the foothills of the mighty Cotopaxi volcano
Doubles from $93 excluding taxes
Best for: The Great Outdoors
Why stay here: For the proximity to 4 volcanoes and Cotopaxi national park
- A working 1000 hectares agriculture and cattle farm
- Year built: 1991
- The history of the hacienda: The site of El Porvenir used to belong to the Jesuits in colonial times where they raised sheep and cattle. The Gangotena Escudero family bought the original El Porvenir farm in 1913 and 5 generations later it is still in their family. The present farmhouse was built in 1991 and it was opened up to guests in 1999
- 22 guest rooms
- Room details: The rooms are a mixture of twins, doubles, quads and suites. There are also 2 standards of rooms available
Food and Drink
- Dining: Breakfast is just continental if you opt for the cheaper room. Lunch and dinner is available as well at an extra cost
- Bar: Drinks are served in the sitting area
Activities at the hotel
- Horse riding
- Gaucho activities
- Bird watching
- Mountain biking
- Mountain climbing
- Private guided tours
- Rodeo (the Andean version)
- Canopy zip lining
- Cooking classes
Local area attractions
- Cotopaxi National Park, Machachi town and market, train rides to and from Quito, private ecological reserves, indigenous food markets
Amenities and Facilities
- Meeting facilities
- Special events such as conferences and weddings are offered
- Gardens and outdoor space
- Extra beds available
- Safety deposit boxes
Need to know
- Open all year: Yes
- Best time to visit: All year
- Suitable for children: Yes
- Languages: English & Spanish spoken
- Eco credentials: Use locally sourced and organic ingredients, use ecological detergents and toiletries, build with natural or locally sourced materials, participate in recycling schemes, energy efficient, partake in land and wildlife schemes, invest in local community and employ local staff at every level
- Check in/out policies: 2pm/11am
- From $93 - $169 per room excluding taxes
- Credit cards are accepted
- Booking and cancellation: To secure the reservation a deposit is required. If cancelled up to 30 days before no penalty will be incurred, 29-15 days it is 50% and less than 15 days before it is 100%
- View Google Map
- Address: Cotopaxi, Ecuador
- Transfers available: Yes from Quito, the airport and other locations
Hacienda El Porvenir was rebuilt in a traditional Andean style using local materials back in 1991. Close to 4 volcanoes including Cotopaxi and situated at 3,600m, you can really feel the elements. With outstanding vistas, welcoming hospitality and charming décor, El Porvenir, is the sort of place people wish they had more time to enjoy.
The area surrounding the present hacienda once belonged to the Jesuits who raised cows and sheep on the land before they were expelled. It was acquired by the ancestors of present owners and has since passed through 5 generations. The house has been rebuilt in recent times but was designed and built very much in keeping with the traditional style of the area.
There are 22 guest rooms and suites of different standards. There are the Machai rooms which are the most simple and share bathrooms. Then there are the Hacienda traditional rooms which are all ensuite and finally there are the suites. As you can imagine it gets pretty chilly in the evenings at such altitude so all the rooms have wood burners and a hot water bottle is kindly placed in the beds at night. The rooms are colourfully furnished with an eclectic mixture of textiles and design.
As you are so close to Cotopaxi and other volcanoes, you will undoubtedly visit the surrounding area. The trails for hiking, biking and horse back riding take in some exceptional views of the immense Cotopaxi and other volcanoes. You really are in an area of outstanding beauty and interest. As it is still a working farm you are able to see how the daily life works and of course get involved. This is the place to go for the outdoors enthusiast.
After all the activity you will be ready for some good home cooked food which is what you will get. Delicious and fresh and based on local favourites as well as some more international dishes, you will be more than satisfied. Much of the food comes from the farm and they are more than happy to cater to all dietary requirements. No bar as such but plenty of sitting areas to enjoy a glass of wine.
El Porvenir enjoys a wonderful setting not too far from Quito and very close to the Cotopaxi National Park. Nature enthusiasts will love it here, with so many different outdoor activities to choose from, a stay here definitely warrants a few days. Cosy and welcoming with great food and service, El Porvenir, is a delight. When you gaze out of the windows and see all the spectacular scenery all around you will be glad that you decided to come.